The Book 1 portion of Tattersalls' October yearling sale in England saw trade broadly on a par with last year during its first session. With this year's sale reduced from four days to three, Tattersalls did not issue comparative figures, but the 114,227-guinea average price Oct. 7 was down just 1% from the comparable figure on last year's opening day with a larger catalogue. The 80,000-guinea median price fell 7.5% and the 15,078,000-guinea turnover rose 3.5%.
Benny the Dip, who won the 1997 Vodafone Epsom Derby (Eng-I) and stood for a time at the Hancock family's Claiborne Farm near Paris, Ky., was euthanized the first week of October after fracturing a knee in his paddock at Liam Cashman's Rathberry Stud in Ireland.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Taris Could Opt for Triple Bend Over Vanity
- Little Nappy is Shackleford's First Winner
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Catch a Glimpse Probable for Penn Mile
- Governor Malibu Has Strong Work for Belmont
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- America's Galileo
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream