The Book 1 portion of Tattersalls' October yearling sale in England saw trade broadly on a par with last year during its first session. With this year's sale reduced from four days to three, Tattersalls did not issue comparative figures, but the 114,227-guinea average price Oct. 7 was down just 1% from the comparable figure on last year's opening day with a larger catalogue. The 80,000-guinea median price fell 7.5% and the 15,078,000-guinea turnover rose 3.5%.
Benny the Dip, who won the 1997 Vodafone Epsom Derby (Eng-I) and stood for a time at the Hancock family's Claiborne Farm near Paris, Ky., was euthanized the first week of October after fracturing a knee in his paddock at Liam Cashman's Rathberry Stud in Ireland.
Most Popular Stories
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- New Journeyman Cabrera Wins Lone Star Title
- Initial Win Noted for Louisiana Sire Orthodox
- Wildcat Red Posts Bullet Breeze for Haskell
- No Catching Unspurned in Bison City Stakes
- A Conversation With Michael Straight
- Apprentice LaRicci Tallies With First Mount
- Gallante Shocks Soggy Grand Prix de Paris
- Gulfstream Begins Apprentice Education Class
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes