The Book 1 portion of Tattersalls' October yearling sale in England saw trade broadly on a par with last year during its first session. With this year's sale reduced from four days to three, Tattersalls did not issue comparative figures, but the 114,227-guinea average price Oct. 7 was down just 1% from the comparable figure on last year's opening day with a larger catalogue. The 80,000-guinea median price fell 7.5% and the 15,078,000-guinea turnover rose 3.5%.
Benny the Dip, who won the 1997 Vodafone Epsom Derby (Eng-I) and stood for a time at the Hancock family's Claiborne Farm near Paris, Ky., was euthanized the first week of October after fracturing a knee in his paddock at Liam Cashman's Rathberry Stud in Ireland.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Another Try for Metaboss in John Henry Turf
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill