The Book 1 portion of Tattersalls' October yearling sale in England saw trade broadly on a par with last year during its first session. With this year's sale reduced from four days to three, Tattersalls did not issue comparative figures, but the 114,227-guinea average price Oct. 7 was down just 1% from the comparable figure on last year's opening day with a larger catalogue. The 80,000-guinea median price fell 7.5% and the 15,078,000-guinea turnover rose 3.5%.
Benny the Dip, who won the 1997 Vodafone Epsom Derby (Eng-I) and stood for a time at the Hancock family's Claiborne Farm near Paris, Ky., was euthanized the first week of October after fracturing a knee in his paddock at Liam Cashman's Rathberry Stud in Ireland.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Rey de Oro wins Japanese Derby
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Twisted Tom Works Toward Belmont Stakes
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Galileo, Coolmore Dominate European Classics
- Souper Tapit Gets Graded Score in Marine Stakes