Eighty-two Texas-breds were entered for Saturday's fifth annual Stars of Texas card at Lone Star Park. Dual stakes winner Goosey Moose was made the mild 3-1 morning line favorite for the $125,000 Assault Stakes, the centerpiece of six stakes events on the 10-race program.
Six-year-old Texas-bred Rare Cure collected his fifth career stakes win with a determined neck victory over odds-on favorite Pie N Burger in Saturday's $75,000 Bob Johnson Memorial Stakes at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas.
One week after finishing eighth of 10 in the $250,000 Dallas Turf Cup, multiple stakes winner Rare Cure wheeled back to win Saturday's $100,000 Assault Stakes by three-quarters of a length over Agrivating General in front of 8,386 fans at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Fifty Stars is one of two Steve Asmussen trainees slated for the Gold Cup, while Dallas Keen and James Jackson try to replicate the 2000 win by Allen's Oop with Valhol.
Most Popular Stories
- Milestone 5,000th Win for Jockey Bravo
- American Pharoah Gallops Again at Churchill
- Texas Air Seeks Upset in Lone Star 'Cap
- Undefeated Promise Me Silver Aiming for Acorn
- Frammento 'Developing Nicely' for Belmont
- Why I Want a Triple Crown Winner
- Southern Honey Seeks Repeat in Winning Colors
- Xtra Luck Goes Distance for Louisville Win
- Firing Line Returns to Track at Santa Anita
- Trujillo to Move Tack to Monmouth Park