Eighty-two Texas-breds were entered for Saturday's fifth annual Stars of Texas card at Lone Star Park. Dual stakes winner Goosey Moose was made the mild 3-1 morning line favorite for the $125,000 Assault Stakes, the centerpiece of six stakes events on the 10-race program.
Six-year-old Texas-bred Rare Cure collected his fifth career stakes win with a determined neck victory over odds-on favorite Pie N Burger in Saturday's $75,000 Bob Johnson Memorial Stakes at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas.
One week after finishing eighth of 10 in the $250,000 Dallas Turf Cup, multiple stakes winner Rare Cure wheeled back to win Saturday's $100,000 Assault Stakes by three-quarters of a length over Agrivating General in front of 8,386 fans at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Fifty Stars is one of two Steve Asmussen trainees slated for the Gold Cup, while Dallas Keen and James Jackson try to replicate the 2000 win by Allen's Oop with Valhol.
Most Popular Stories
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
- Illinois Gaming Plans Would Slice Racing Aid
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- Midnight Hawk Brings Illinois Derby Intrigue
- Stronach Takes Stand on Integrity Reforms
- And They're Off: The End of the Trail Edition
- Regulators Begin Asmussen Investigations
- Dude Back On Game for Charles Town Classic
- Street Boss Colt Among Top OBS Day 2 Workers
- Eight Rivals Try Kid Cruz in Federico Tesio