Slewpy, the sire of 26 stakes winners including 1992 Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) winner Thirty Slews, died Dec. 19 at Monty Roberts' Flag is Up Farm near Solvang, Calif. The grade I winning son of Seattle Slew was 21.
Millionaire mares Tranquility Lake and Happyanunoit offer the packed resumes for the $250,000-added Gamely Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) for fillies and mares on Saturday at Hollywood Park, but Kalypso Katie appears to be the interesting filly on the rise.
Running Flame, a mare bred in India and that country's Horse of the Year in 1999 is among the 12 older fillies and mares entered in Sunday's grade II Santa Ana Handicap at 1 1/8 miles over Santa Anita's Camino Real Turf Course.
Rare Charmer, ridden by Laffit Pincay Jr. at 115 pounds, prevailed narrowly over Elegant Ridge in the $150,000 Buena Vista Handicap for fillies and mares Monday at Santa Anita Park. Rare Charmer ran one mile on a firm turf course in 1:36.67 and paid $27.40, $12 and $4.40. Rare Charmer is a 6-year-old California- bred by Slewpy and is trained by Craig Dollase for owner/breeder Nick Cafarchia.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation
- 'Chrome' Logs Final Work for Awesome Again
- Accelerate Finds Just Enough in Los Al Derby
- Miyadi Arrested After Altercation With Solis
- Lexie Lou Officially Retired
- Senor Guitar First Winner for Star Guitar
- Deeply Undervalued Wins Commonwealth Derby