Slewpy, the sire of 26 stakes winners including 1992 Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) winner Thirty Slews, died Dec. 19 at Monty Roberts' Flag is Up Farm near Solvang, Calif. The grade I winning son of Seattle Slew was 21.
Millionaire mares Tranquility Lake and Happyanunoit offer the packed resumes for the $250,000-added Gamely Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) for fillies and mares on Saturday at Hollywood Park, but Kalypso Katie appears to be the interesting filly on the rise.
Running Flame, a mare bred in India and that country's Horse of the Year in 1999 is among the 12 older fillies and mares entered in Sunday's grade II Santa Ana Handicap at 1 1/8 miles over Santa Anita's Camino Real Turf Course.
Rare Charmer, ridden by Laffit Pincay Jr. at 115 pounds, prevailed narrowly over Elegant Ridge in the $150,000 Buena Vista Handicap for fillies and mares Monday at Santa Anita Park. Rare Charmer ran one mile on a firm turf course in 1:36.67 and paid $27.40, $12 and $4.40. Rare Charmer is a 6-year-old California- bred by Slewpy and is trained by Craig Dollase for owner/breeder Nick Cafarchia.
Most Popular Stories
- Chuck Borell Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Legends: Charlie Whittingham, the Bald Eagle
- Red Rifle Aims to Repeat in Dominion Day
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- TAA Ready to Assist With Abandoned Horses
- Morris to Ride Mongolian Saturday in July Cup
- S'Maverlous is Cornhusker Highweight
- Limousine Liberal Seeks Graded Score in Smile