Hombre Rapido lived up to his name, busting to the lead early and cruising to a 2 1/2-length victory in track record time of 1:01 3/5 for 5 1/2 furlongs in Friday's featured seventh race at Hollywood Park.
Eclipse champion Kona Gold is expected to make his 2002 debut in the June 2 Los Angeles Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park. Alex Solis will ride the 8-year-old gelding in the six-furlong race.
Kalookan Queen tracked a brisk pace, moved to the lead on the turn, then held off the late run of Ceeband to earn a half-length victory over males in the $197,000 Potrero Grande Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita. The daughter of Lost Code became the second product of Regal Realm to win the Potrero Grande, following in the footsteps of her full brother Sir Hutch.
Freespool set quick fractions en route to winning the $108,700 El Conejo Handicap (gr. III) by 1 1/2 lengths Sunday at Santa Anita. Under jockey Chris McCarron, Freespool completed the 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:02.50 on a fast track. McCarron and Freespool teamed to win the last running of the El Conejo, Jan. 2, making this the second time in 2000 the two have won the race.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Adversaries Unite at Trainers' Dinner
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- Grudge Match in the Alysheba
- Nyquist's Groom Keeps Top Derby Horse Happy
- Nyquist Strong in First Churchill Gallop
- NBC Sports Group Sets Derby Week Coverage