Local favorite No Hesitation, on a four-race winning streak for trainer Jim Meyaard, takes on nine rivals, including a pair of California invaders, in the $300,000 Canadian Derby (Can-III) at Northlands Park.
Connemara, winner of the El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) last month, is the 9-5 morning line favorite for the $500,000 Lane's End Stakes (gr. II) at Turfway Park March 27.
Vow to Wager, who ran second in the John Battaglia Memorial Stakes last out, will face an accomplished field in the March 27 Lane's End Stakes (gr. I) at Turfway Park.
Trainer Todd Pletcher completed a 3-year-old stakes triple Feb. 20 when favored Connemara, ridden by Russell Baze, captured the $150,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
The top three finishers in the Jan. 16 California Derby -- Ranger Heartley, Connemara, and Thomas Baines -- top the 10-horse field entered for the Feb. 20 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
- By Esther Marr
Sue Dowling, who bred the stakes-winning gelding Ranger Heartley with her husband, Craig Upham, decided to name the horse after a local heroic army ranger, Sgt. Jeffrey Hartley, who was killed in Iraq in April 2008.
Though somewhat erratic through the homestretch, Ranger Heartley held off odds-on choice Connemara to win the $100,000 California Derby by three-quarters of a length at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Connemara, undefeated in a pair of route tries for trainer Todd Pletcher last fall, makes his stakes debut against five rival 3-year-olds in the $100,000 California Derby at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- NYRA Unveils 10-Race Claiming Series
- NY Investigation of Asmussen Case Completed
- New York Sanctions Mott for Drug Overages
- National HBPA Sets Convention Agenda
- Racing Investigators to Meet in NJ in March
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- TCA to Present Awards of Merit
- Catastrophic Equine Injuries' Impact on Jockey Injuries
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title