Jockeys and their mounts escaped injury Thursday afternoon when a large umbrella, apparently from the trackside picnic area at Ellis Park, blew onto the main track as the field charged down the stretch in fifth race on the program.
Apprentice jockey Randall Toups was expected to be released Friday from North Shore University Hospital in New York after being treated for injuries he sustained during a spill in Aqueduct's fifth race Thursday.
The 21-day fall meet at Churchill Downs, the first at the historic track since the completion of its $121 million renovation and the first since 2002 that was not limited by construction, concluded on Nov. 26 with gains in both on-track and total wagering and on-track attendance.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack