Bill Gates has purchased Rancho Paseana from weight-loss guru and horse owner Jenny Craig for $18 million, according to a published report.
Hear the Ghost, one of the favorites for the upcoming $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), is off the Triple Crown trail after he was detected to be slightly lame during a morning jog April 4 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Trainer John Sadler reported that Holy Candy, pulled up as the favorite in the second division of the opening day Oceanside Stakes at Del Mar July 18, has undergone successful surgery for a bone chip in his right front ankle.
Dakota Phone, winner of the 2010 Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) at Churchill Downs, has been retired from racing and sent to Jenny Craig's Rancho Paseana Training Center near Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.
Candy Ride expanded his California influence from the racetrack to the sale ring Jan. 24, when his daughter Smoothe as Candy topped the Barretts January mixed sale at $70,000.
Lev Fanning Jr., who managed several successful California horse farms, died Sept. 10.
Despite the nine massive wildfires that have charred nearly 500,000 acres and continue to burn in Southern California, only one Thoroughbred farm was reported to have suffered any damage, and it was considered minor, according to Dawn Gerber of the California Thoroughbred Breeders' Association.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Far Right Works, Confirmed for Southwest