Bill Gates has purchased Rancho Paseana from weight-loss guru and horse owner Jenny Craig for $18 million, according to a published report.
Hear the Ghost, one of the favorites for the upcoming $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), is off the Triple Crown trail after he was detected to be slightly lame during a morning jog April 4 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Trainer John Sadler reported that Holy Candy, pulled up as the favorite in the second division of the opening day Oceanside Stakes at Del Mar July 18, has undergone successful surgery for a bone chip in his right front ankle.
Dakota Phone, winner of the 2010 Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) at Churchill Downs, has been retired from racing and sent to Jenny Craig's Rancho Paseana Training Center near Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.
Candy Ride expanded his California influence from the racetrack to the sale ring Jan. 24, when his daughter Smoothe as Candy topped the Barretts January mixed sale at $70,000.
Lev Fanning Jr., who managed several successful California horse farms, died Sept. 10.
Despite the nine massive wildfires that have charred nearly 500,000 acres and continue to burn in Southern California, only one Thoroughbred farm was reported to have suffered any damage, and it was considered minor, according to Dawn Gerber of the California Thoroughbred Breeders' Association.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Gimme Da Lute Holds On in Los Alamitos Derby
- Alliseeisgold Wires Cleveland Gold Cup
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- Private Zone All the Way in Belmont Sprint
- No Positives in June 2015 Economic Indicators
- Speightster Still Undefeated With Dwyer Win
- Coffee Clique Proves Best in James Penny