E.K. Gaylord II's Wilkinson, who registered a stunning 44-1 upset in the American Handicap (gr. IIT) last month, came down with colic June 18 and has been ruled out of the Shoemaker Mile at Betfair Hollywood Park June 30.
In a carbon copy of last month's Colonial Turf Cup (gr. IIT), Battle of Hastings dug in late to head Straight Story to win the $750,000 Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) on the Colonial Downs turf July 18.
First-time American starter Ten Meropa was left at the gate but recovered with an impressive closing kick to post a surprise in the $110,050 Baldwin Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Santa Anita hillside turf course March 2.
With Medaglia d'Oro's brilliant victory in the Donn Handicap (gr. I), it looks as if the next stop is Nad al Sheba Race Course and the juicy $6 million pot that awaits him in the Dubai World Cup (UAE-I). But this won't be the colt's first trip to the desert.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Tepin Back to Brilliant in Saratoga Work
- Flatter Colt Tops OBS Select Yearling Session
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- 'Cleopatra' in Gate Drill for Debutante
- Southern CA Tracks, TOC Have Dates Agreement
- Gran Villano is 75th Scat Daddy Stakes Winner
- Six Stakes Fill NY Showcase Day
- 'Chrome,' Beholder Weighing Options after PC
- BH 100: Covered Up