E.K. Gaylord II's Wilkinson, who registered a stunning 44-1 upset in the American Handicap (gr. IIT) last month, came down with colic June 18 and has been ruled out of the Shoemaker Mile at Betfair Hollywood Park June 30.
In a carbon copy of last month's Colonial Turf Cup (gr. IIT), Battle of Hastings dug in late to head Straight Story to win the $750,000 Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) on the Colonial Downs turf July 18.
First-time American starter Ten Meropa was left at the gate but recovered with an impressive closing kick to post a surprise in the $110,050 Baldwin Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Santa Anita hillside turf course March 2.
With Medaglia d'Oro's brilliant victory in the Donn Handicap (gr. I), it looks as if the next stop is Nad al Sheba Race Course and the juicy $6 million pot that awaits him in the Dubai World Cup (UAE-I). But this won't be the colt's first trip to the desert.
Most Popular Stories
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks