Dr. Mick Peterson, executive director of the Racing Surfaces Testing Laboratory, was on hand at Keeneland the weekend of Oct. 10-11 to review testing and measuring procedures to ensure the safety of the dirt track.
Mick Peterson would like to see more tracks document information on their racing surfaces and coordinate that information with data from the Equine Injury Database to improve safety for horses and riders.
A pair of presenters on racetrack surfaces at the Welfare and Safety of the Racehorse Summit talked about how improved information is helping to improve surfaces throughout the U.S.
Consistent, regular maintenance and the sharing of information among superintendents are paramount to having quality, safe racing surfaces, said Dr. Mick Peterson, executive director of the Racing Surfaces Testing Laboratory.
Regular testing and proactive investment are keys to improving the safety records of racetracks, a co-founder of the Racing Surfaces Testing Laboratory said Oct. 16 at the fourth Welfare and Safety of the Racehorse Summit.
As people rush to takes sides in the great dirt-versus-synthetic surface debate, Dr. Mick Peterson and Santa Anita Park track superintendent Richard Tedesco suggested consistency and maintenance trump type of surface.
Dr. Michael "Mick" Peterson will address "Assessing Track Surfaces" at a seminar for horsemen to be held in Arcadia, Calif., March 14. Peterson is the executive director of the Racing Surfaces Testing Laboratory.
A Racing Surfaces Testing Laboratory designed to enhance surface safety for horses and riders is being launched with the financial support of a broad industry coalition, it was announced April 17 by the laboratory's coordinators Dr. Mick Peterson and Dr. Wayne McIlwraith.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night