More than six decades after Hollywood Park opened, its future as a racing venue has become less than certain.
Officials with Scioto Downs in Columbus, Ohio, said May 22 all systems are go on its purchase by MTR Gaming Group, owner of Mountaineer Race Track & Gaming Resort in West Virginia.
The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority will formally begin the process of selling or leasing Monmouth Park and Meadowlands in June, a move that could put more than $250 million in the financially strapped state agency's coffers, according to published reports.
The Ohio Racing Commission has conditionally approved the sale of Scioto Downs, a Columbus Standardbred track, to MTR Gaming, owner of Mountaineer Race Track & Gaming Resort in West Virginia.
The owners of Balmoral Park and Maywood Park in Illinois are interested in purchasing Ellis Park, the western Kentucky racetrack owned by Churchill Downs Inc., according to published reports.
- By Tom LaMarra
Magna Entertainment will hook up with Joe and Karin De Francis to own and operate Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course under a $117.5-million deal announced July 15. At least a partial sale of the two Maryland racetracks has been rumored for months.
A Maryland Jockey Club attorney told Maryland legislators June 25 that no deal has been made to sell Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course to Magna Entertainment, and that any deal would have to clear major regulatory hurdles.
The Racing Association of Central Iowa gave itself two weeks to decide if it can put together a viable offer to purchase the Prairie Meadows property from Polk County.
The New Jersey Racing Commission on Wednesday unanimously approved the sale of Atlantic City Race Course to Greenwood Racing for $13 million.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan