The Delaware Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association said Jan. 31 it is "at an impasse in negotiations" with Delaware Park on a new contract.
The New York Senate's top Republican wants Belmont Park to be included in the list of possible casino expansion locations.
Overnight purses will increase 10% when Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort begins its almost 10-month racing season March 1.
Saratoga Harness Racing Inc., which last year acquired an ownership interest in Ellis Park in western Kentucky, said Jan. 29 it has completed its purchase of Fitzgeralds Casino Black Hawk in Colorado.
New York Racing Association President and COO Ellen McClain announced Jan. 25 that she is resigning from her role, and board leaders said they would immediately begin a national search to find a replacement.
The New York legislature's most powerful Democrat said Jan. 24 he would be open to further casino development at Aqueduct Racetrack, as well as several other specific locations in New York City except for Manhattan.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to dip into purse accounts to take $1.5 million to $2 million per year for equine safety programs at the state's racetracks.
The Ohio Roundtable, an anti-gambling organization, asked the Franklin County Court of Appeals Jan. 17 to reject a decision by the Franklin County Common Pleas Court, which last year dismissed a lawsuit challenging VLTs.
Casino magnate Steve Wynn submitted a formal Phase 1 application with the Massachusetts Gaming Commission Jan. 14, one day under a key deadline, to vie with the proposal of Suffolk Downs and partner Caesar's Entertainment.
The Ohio State Racing Commission put racetrack casino developers on notice Jan. 10 when, at a hearing, members expressed strong displeasure with the racing aspects of the proposed Miami Valley Gaming and Racing facility.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is pushing lawmakers to pass the second required piece of legislation to allow up to seven new casinos in New York State.
A shift in slot machine revenue from horse racing to other programs in Pennsylvania is set to expire this summer, and the Pennsylvania Equine Coalition Jan. 8 urged lawmakers to honor the sunset provision.
Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course reported a 19.4% increase in all-sources pari-mutuel handle for 197 live racing days in 2012. Meanwhile, total purses jumped 11.6%.
Oral arguments have been scheduled on a public policy group's appeal of a ruling that it doesn't have the legal standing to sue over a 2011 law authorizing racetrack video lottery terminals.
Indiana Downs is one step closer to becoming the sole location for Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse racing in the state.
The Ohio State Racing Commission Dec. 13 approved the distribution of more than $1.77 million in revenue racing has received from non-track casinos in the state.
Negotiations continued Dec. 12 among the Ohio parties involved in a possible shift of the River Downs meet to Beulah Park in 2013.
Two lawmakers in leadership positions in the Kentucky General Assembly said Dec. 10 the issue of expanded gambling remains on the table, but whether a bill materializes depends on Gov. Steve Beshear.
In this age of racetrack casinos, the message is very clear: Increase the focus on pari-mutuel wagering and don't consider gaming revenue for purses and other programs an entitlement.
The awarding of 2013 Thoroughbred racing dates in Ohio has stalled given the fact the meet at River Downs may have to move to Beulah Park because of construction of a new racetrack gaming facility.
Republican Kentucky Sen. Damon Thayer, who has been involved with most legislation involving the horse industry in recent years, was elected majority floor leader Nov. 28 during a GOP Senate leadership caucus.
Two Pennsylvania racetrack gaming companies are among the six bidders for a license to build a non-racetrack casino in Philadelphia.
The Warren County, Ohio, government Nov. 13 approved plans by Churchill Downs Inc. and Delaware North to build a racetrack casino that would replace Lebanon Raceway.
Gambling in Maryland will soon include table games such as blackjack and a casino near Washington, D.C., after voters Nov. 6 approved an expansion measure that generated an expensive political advertising campaign.
Churchill Downs Inc. officials said Nov. 6 the company had a "decent" third quarter in 2012 and is poised for growth in 2013-14.
Kentucky Republican Senate President David Williams is vacating that post to accept a judgeship in the southern part of the state.
Though owner Pinnacle Entertainment hasn't made an official announcement, it appears the grandstand at River Downs will be leveled to make way for a new racetrack gaming facility.
Fifty-one horses are entered in the five races that make up the Best of Ohio, an event that figures to benefit in future years from video lottery terminal revenue.
That Turfway Park is struggling to fill live racing programs for its 16-day meet is no surprise to horsemen, who believe a "perfect storm" developed in September.
Laurel Park will begin a 69-day meet Sept. 5 with average daily purses of $240,000 and an expanded stakes schedule.
The Ohio Roundtable, a public policy group challenging the 2011 law authorizing racetrack video lottery terminals in Ohio, has appealed a common pleas court ruling that found the organization lacks standing in the case.
With New York's racetrack video lottery terminal operators looking to become full-blown casino destinations, a new player in the crowded market is asking regulators for the eighth and final harness racetrack license.
Citing uncertainty due to the scheduled end of its slots-at-racetracks program in March 2013, Woodbine has submitted a request to the Ontario Racing Commission to cancel 11 Thoroughbred Thursday afternoon programs.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn Aug. 28 vetoed a gaming expansion measure that would have allowed slot machines at racetracks and authorized five new casinos around the state, but hinted he may approve if changes are made.
Saying it was "poor public policy," a three-person horse racing transition panel has concluded the Ontario government did the right thing by ending the slots-at-racetracks program.
With one exception, there could be little change in live racing dates at Ohio tracks in 2013, but significant alterations are possible for 2014 should more facilities begin operating video lottery terminals.
The company whose permit to operate Thistledown was approved by the Ohio State Racing Commission Aug. 22 indicated the planned video lottery terminal operation at the racetrack will be more than temporary.
Just days before a government panel is set to release recommendations for the future of horse racing in Ontario, the industry is receiving support from politicians questioning the end of the slots-at-racetracks program.
The clock is running on what could be a final push to authorize Illinois racetracks to run slot machines many in the industry see as vital to survival.
The Ohio State Racing Commission July 10 began the process of transferring racing licenses from existing racetracks to new locations.
The only racetrack gaming facility in Ohio generated $11 million in revenue in its first month of operation, the Ohio Lottery Commission reported.
The Pennsylvania Equine Coalition said thank you to the state legislature July 2 for sparing most of the $72 million that could have been cut from the Pennsylvania Race Horse Development Fund.
Penn National Gaming Inc. on June 30 filed requests for video lottery terminals and to relocate its two Ohio racetracks.
Protecting purse revenue from alternative gaming can be as hard, or harder, than winning legislative approval for it, horsemen said June 30 during a National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association roundtable talk.
The Ohio Roundtable has appealed a Common Pleas Court ruling that said it didn't have legal standing to sue the state and others over the 2011 law that legalized racetrack video lottery terminals.
Penn National Gaming Inc. is preparing applications in Ohio for video lottery terminals and relocation in connection with its plan to move Beulah Park to the Youngstown area.
As Woodbine prepares to hold the 153rd edition of the Queen's Plate June 24, Nick Eaves, the track's president, stunned the crowd at the June 21 post-position draw by revealing that Woodbine may be forced to close next April.
The Ohio State Racing Commission probably will rule on racetrack license transfers during the third quarter of this year, OSRC chairman Robert Schmitz said June 11.
The Ontario government announced June 7 it will provide up to $50 million in transitional funding to the province's horse racing industry over the next three years.
The Fort Erie Live Racing Consortium announced after its general meeting June 5 that Fort Erie Racetrack will hold its last live race this year.
Most Popular Stories
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Little Mike Retired to Old Friends
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Borell Arraignment Set for Aug. 1
- Full Field Possible for West Virginia Derby
- Champion Tepin Will Bypass Fourstardave
- Connect Leads 1-2 Finish for Brown in Curlin
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Sunday Silence Dominates Broodmare Sires
- Arlington, Hawthorne Reach Dates Agreement