An armored truck guard died after he was shot and robbed while making a stop at Calder Casino and Race Course in Florida.
The rush to improve safety since Eight Belles was euthanized at last year's Kentucky Derby Presented By Yum! Brands (gr. I) did little to curb the number of horses dying at American racetracks in 2008, The Associated Press found in a national count.
After seven horses died in a 19-day period this spring at Emerald Downs, the racetrack opted to create a task force to evaluate the deaths, and to see if similar injuries could be prevented in the future. Detailed soil and track assessments, as well as input from industry members and groups, indicated the track itself is in good shape, and the injuries were unrelated.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Trainer Baird Reaches Win 2,000
- Malibu Moon, Tapit Colts Could Shine at F-T
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill