An armored truck guard died after he was shot and robbed while making a stop at Calder Casino and Race Course in Florida.
The rush to improve safety since Eight Belles was euthanized at last year's Kentucky Derby Presented By Yum! Brands (gr. I) did little to curb the number of horses dying at American racetracks in 2008, The Associated Press found in a national count.
After seven horses died in a 19-day period this spring at Emerald Downs, the racetrack opted to create a task force to evaluate the deaths, and to see if similar injuries could be prevented in the future. Detailed soil and track assessments, as well as input from industry members and groups, indicated the track itself is in good shape, and the injuries were unrelated.
Most Popular Stories
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- From Turf to Dirt, Bolo Targets SA Derby
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- Pereira Taken to Hospital After SA Spill
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- American Pharoah Tops KDFW Pool 4
- Materiality New KY Derby Shooter for Pletcher
- Unbeaten Materiality Secures Florida Derby
- 'Pharoah' Speedy in First Workout After Rebel
- Daredevil, Frosted Post Final Works for Wood