Trainer Tim Keefe becomes only the third president in Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association history following his election by the MTHA's Board of Directors Sept. 4.
Members of the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association have elected seven new directors as well as eight incumbents from a slate of 29 candidates in the recently concluded board of directors election.
Veterinarian Brooke Bowman and Louis Merryman announced the formation of Heritage Stallions, a new Thoroughbred stallion facility to be operated near Chesapeake City, Md.
Grade I winner and classic-placed Bodemeister was crowned Virginia-bred Horse of the Year and 2012 champion Virginia-bred 3-year-old colt when annual awards were presented July 6 at Colonial Downs.
R. Larry Johnson, who began racing horses for $2,000 purses at Charles Town Races in the mid-1970s, more than stepped it up a notch Sept. 17 when his homebred Strike the Moon won the $400,000 Charles Town Oaks.
R. Larry Johnson's favored Street Magician hit the rail while squeezing through a hole in the stretch, but persevered to win the $100,000 Hirsch Jacobs (gr. III) for 3-year-olds by one length at Pimlico Saturday.
Jumping from a maiden victory into the $139,500 Aventura Stakes for 3-year-olds, R. Larry Johnson's homebred Street Magician surged to the lead mid-stretch and held on gamely for for a half-length victory over Yesbyjimminy Saturday at Gulfstream Park.
Bop, who set three course records in stakes, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at R. Larry Johnson's Legacy Farm near Bluemont, Va.
Sincerely earned her first graded stakes win Saturday at Delaware Park, winning the $250,000 Delaware Oaks (gr. III) by 3/4 lengths over Trip.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- Satono Crown Surges to Victory in Takarazuka Kinen
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Jacks Masterpiece First Winner for Smiling Tiger