Veterinarian Brooke Bowman and Louis Merryman announced the formation of Heritage Stallions, a new Thoroughbred stallion facility to be operated near Chesapeake City, Md.
Grade I winner and classic-placed Bodemeister was crowned Virginia-bred Horse of the Year and 2012 champion Virginia-bred 3-year-old colt when annual awards were presented July 6 at Colonial Downs.
R. Larry Johnson, who began racing horses for $2,000 purses at Charles Town Races in the mid-1970s, more than stepped it up a notch Sept. 17 when his homebred Strike the Moon won the $400,000 Charles Town Oaks.
R. Larry Johnson's favored Street Magician hit the rail while squeezing through a hole in the stretch, but persevered to win the $100,000 Hirsch Jacobs (gr. III) for 3-year-olds by one length at Pimlico Saturday.
Jumping from a maiden victory into the $139,500 Aventura Stakes for 3-year-olds, R. Larry Johnson's homebred Street Magician surged to the lead mid-stretch and held on gamely for for a half-length victory over Yesbyjimminy Saturday at Gulfstream Park.
Bop, who set three course records in stakes, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at R. Larry Johnson's Legacy Farm near Bluemont, Va.
Sincerely earned her first graded stakes win Saturday at Delaware Park, winning the $250,000 Delaware Oaks (gr. III) by 3/4 lengths over Trip.
Most Popular Stories
- Mine That Bird Movie Premieres March 19
- One for the Roses: Social Inclusion
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/17/2014
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- Charles Town to Make Donation to CANTER
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby