General Quarters, a grade I winner who gave his septuagenarian owner Tom McCarthy the thrill of a lifetime when contesting the 2009 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has been retired from racing.
Jockey Calvin Borel gave Silverinyourpocket one of his patented rail-skimming rides to upset the La Troienne (gr. II) on the Kentucky Derby undercard at Churchill Downs Saturday.
Wild and Wicked, a grade II winner in his third start and winner over Saint Liam, will enter stud at Mr. and Mrs. R. David Randal's Fallbrook Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Next week's Belmont Stakes (gr. I) lost a possible contender on Saturday when trainer Ken McPeek confirmed that R. David Randal's unbeaten Wild and Wicked would not ship to Belmont Park for the race.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Little Nappy is Shackleford's First Winner
- Taris Could Opt for Triple Bend Over Vanity
- Candy Ride Colt Tops Barretts Sale