Strike the Bell surprised favored Quiet Meadow when she rallied from last to first to win the $100,000 Noble Damsel Stakes (gr. IIIT) for her first added-money score Sept. 19 on Belmont Park's Widener turf course.
Quiet Meadow, beaten a nose in last season's Noble Damsel (gr. IIT), is back as the favorite in the 2010 edition. She was pegged as the 3-1 morning-line choice in a field of eight.
In two grade III grass races on the IZOD Haskell Invitational card at Monmouth Park Aug. 1, favored Get Serious led from start to finish in the Oceanport, and Unbridled Essence pulled a 42-1 shocker in the Matchmaker.
Deserving favorite claims Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT) for Augustin Stable and trainer Jonathan Sheppard.
Rutherienne has had some tough beats during a 10-race stretch in which she won just once but finished on the board in every one of those starts. Her improbable victory in the $107,000 Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) Sept. 19 at Belmont Park will make up for some of that disappointment.
Virginia Kraft Payson's multiple graded stakes winner Rutherienne has not been off the board her last 10 starts, but has just one win to show for her efforts. On Sept. 19 at Belmont Park, the 5-year-old mare will try to return to the winner's circle when she takes on six fillies and mares in the $100,00 Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Jedburgh Stud's All Is Vanity, sixth at the top of the lane, displayed a huge turn of foot in the final furlong and passed Quiet Meadow in the final strides to take a thrilling edition of the $150,000 Eatontown (gr. IIIT) June 7 on the Monmouth Park turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Tritap, a Son of Tapit, to Heritage Stallions
- Fourth Washington Park for Mister Marti Gras
- Tribal Rule Yearlings Top Washington Sale
- Plesa Hoping to Get Lucky in Woodward
- Road to the Kentucky Derby Schedule Announced
- OH Thoroughbred Tracks Seek 293 Dates in 2015
- Stephanie's Kitten to be Offered at F-T Sale
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time
- Oklahoma-Bred Supplements Up 10% at Remington
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return