This week we take a closer look at Gun Runner, winner of the $400,000 Veterans Ford Risen Star Stakes (gr. II) on Feb. 20 at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots.
Fueled by well-bred horses owned by the late Edward P. "Ned" Evans, the market at the Keeneland November breeding stock sale burned white-hot during its opening session.
With owner Mike Repole and trainer Todd Pletcher watching, 2010 juvenile champion Uncle Mo blazed four furlongs in a bullet :46.57 over Belmont Park's training track for his next start in the one-mile Kelso Handicap (gr. II).
Odds-on choice Quiet Giant took charge midway on the far turn and drew away under brisk handling from jockey Julien Leparoux to register a five-length win in the $252,500 Hill 'N' Dale Molly Pitcher Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 3.
Quiet Giant, off a strong victory at Monmouth Park a month ago, looms a tough customer in the Sept. 3 Hill 'n' Dale Molly Pitcher Stakes (gr. II), but the race lured a solid field of nine.
Most Popular Stories
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- The RNA Conundrum at Public Auctions
- BH 100: Shooting Star
- Texas Bling Retired to Stud
- Have Horseplayers Lost Touch With the Horse?
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby