This week we take a closer look at Gun Runner, winner of the $400,000 Veterans Ford Risen Star Stakes (gr. II) on Feb. 20 at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots.
Fueled by well-bred horses owned by the late Edward P. "Ned" Evans, the market at the Keeneland November breeding stock sale burned white-hot during its opening session.
With owner Mike Repole and trainer Todd Pletcher watching, 2010 juvenile champion Uncle Mo blazed four furlongs in a bullet :46.57 over Belmont Park's training track for his next start in the one-mile Kelso Handicap (gr. II).
Odds-on choice Quiet Giant took charge midway on the far turn and drew away under brisk handling from jockey Julien Leparoux to register a five-length win in the $252,500 Hill 'N' Dale Molly Pitcher Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 3.
Quiet Giant, off a strong victory at Monmouth Park a month ago, looms a tough customer in the Sept. 3 Hill 'n' Dale Molly Pitcher Stakes (gr. II), but the race lured a solid field of nine.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist's BC Work Less Than Ideal
- California Chrome 'Fit' for BC After Work
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Beholder, Frosted Drill at Santa Anita
- Living The Life Retired, Won't Run in BC
- Rachel Alexandra Breeder Morrison dies
- Getting Started on Breeders' Cup Handicapping
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Songbird Logs Final Breeze for Distaff
- Breeders' Cup Race Order, Wagering Options