Delaware Oaks (gr. III) winner and Alabama (gr. I) runner-up Allamerican Bertie tuned-up for a run in next weeks' Falls City Handicap (gr. II) with a sharp five furlong work on Wednesday at Churchill Downs.
Allamerican Bertie, ridden by Pat Day, made her turf debut Thursday a winning one, setting the pace and turning back a slight challenge at the top of the stretch for a convincing eight-length victory over Histoire Sainte in the featured $59,500 allowance race for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
The final turf racing day of the Woodbine season was a success for jockey Jono Jones and for longshot players.
Elusive Quality, who ranks first on the freshman and second on the overall 2-year-old list by progeny earnings, had his fee bumped from $10,000 to $30,000 for 2003
Richard Bertram and Elaine Klein's Allamerican Bertie won the Delaware Oaks at Delaware Park by 6 1/4-lengths on Saturday under Larry Melancon.
A $105,000 Quiet American colt was the top seller as of 2 p.m. (EDT) Monday during the first session of the Keeneland October yearling sale. Consigned by Mill Ridge Sales, agent, he was purchased by Florida pinhooker Becky Thomas, who plans to resell him at an auction of 2-year-olds in training next year.
Leading sire Cee's Tizzy has company in the millionaire club by 2001 progeny earnings. Maria's Mon, whose son Monarchos earned $600,000 in winning the March 10 Florida Derby (gr. I) at Gulfstream Park, increased his yearly earnings to $1,060,461 and in the process zoomed from 39th to second on the sire's list. Champion 2-year-old male in 1995, Maria's Mon (Wavering Monarch -- Carlotta Maria, by Caro) stands at Josephine Abercrombie's Pin Oak Stud near Versailles, Ky.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale