Going into the final day of the Saratoga meet on Monday, Labor Day, jockey Mike Smith found himself in the rare position of having no stakes victories and only three wins overall during the meet, but Smith redeemed himself when he rode Gary A. Tanaka's Noble Stella to a two-length victory in the grade III, $112,100 Glens Falls Handicap.
Trainer Jonathan Sheppard, who won Saratoga's major steeplechase race, Thursday's New York Turf Writer's Cup (NSA-I), hopes to land one on the flat when he saddles Latice in the $100,000-aded Glens Falls Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the turf Monday.
Singhalese, winner of the grade I Del Mar Oaks in Southern California last month, has been installed as the 6-5 morning-line favorite in Saturday's $200,000 Pucker Up Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies on the turf at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- Remembering Ben's Cat
- Look Back: Shuvee Completes a Filly Triple Crown
- Leatherbury, Maryland Racing Mourn Ben's Cat
- Dickinson, Lady Eli to Meet Again in Diana
- Biancone Moves Closer to Kentucky Reinstatement
- Direct Dial, Admiral Jimmy Vie Again in Sanford
- Ana O'Brien Sidelined Until November
- Songbird Holds Fast in Delaware Handicap