Going into the final day of the Saratoga meet on Monday, Labor Day, jockey Mike Smith found himself in the rare position of having no stakes victories and only three wins overall during the meet, but Smith redeemed himself when he rode Gary A. Tanaka's Noble Stella to a two-length victory in the grade III, $112,100 Glens Falls Handicap.
Trainer Jonathan Sheppard, who won Saratoga's major steeplechase race, Thursday's New York Turf Writer's Cup (NSA-I), hopes to land one on the flat when he saddles Latice in the $100,000-aded Glens Falls Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the turf Monday.
Singhalese, winner of the grade I Del Mar Oaks in Southern California last month, has been installed as the 6-5 morning-line favorite in Saturday's $200,000 Pucker Up Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies on the turf at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Isabella Sings Sails Home in Eatontown
- Sarah Sis Returns to Winning Ways in Chicago
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh