Bare Necessities, the starting highweight at 119 pounds, will be favored in Sunday's $300,000 Molly Pitcher Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares at Monmouth Park, but she will not have an easy time of it.
Austin's Mom needed some time to be ready for the right opportunity, and Saturday afternoon, everything fell into place in the $109,600 Affectionately Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares at Aqueduct.
Maryland-bred Cruise Along had done most of her running and all of her winning on the turf, but a huge recent effort on the dirt has earned her a trip to New York to try for a graded stakes win in Saturday's $100,000 Affectionately Handicap (gr. III) at 1 1/16 miles for fillies and mares.
Earle I. Mack's Savedbythelight ended a four-race losing streak and became a graded stakes winner in the process Saturday, winning the 134th running of the $112,100 Ladies Handicap (gr. III) by three lengths over Queen's Triomphe.
Queen's Triomphe at 64-1 and jockey Jose Espinoza pulled away from favored Message Red to win the $82,875 Montauk Handicap for fillies and mares by 2 1/4 lengths at Aqueduct on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- BH 100: Commemorates
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Bangkok Upsets Melmich in Valedictory
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot