Nine of the potential European Breeders' Cup runners arrived at Monmouth Park at about 8 p.m. EDT Oct. 21, having touched down at Newark International Airport three hours earlier after an uneventful flight from England.
Racing in New South Wales was suspended indefinitely Aug. 27 in the wake of the escalation of the equine influenza crisis in Australia, and some stud farms began the breeding season early.
Penn National Race Course officials said they would lift the quarantine imposed on its backstretch due to equine herpesvirus March 7 provided no further cases of the virus are reported in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment