Evan Hammonds reflects on the QE II Challenge Cup Stakes, Knickerbocker Stakes, and Athenia Stakes. watch video
Shadwell Stable's Alwajeeha stalked the pace under John Velazquez, took over coming out of the turn, and held off a host of rivals to win the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup (gr. IT) by 1 1/4 lengths Oct. 11 at Keeneland. The victory was especially sweet for Velazquez, who was involved in a bad spill just eight days before in Lexington.
Rakti held off Lucky Story for a half-length victory Saturday in the $556,530 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I), the last big event before the Ascot course is closed and rebuilt.
Most Popular Stories
- Keeneland September Sale Sees More Gains
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- No Dice for Massachusetts Racing, Breeding
- California Chrome Arrives at Parx Racing
- What's Going On Here: Solid at the Core
- Suffolk Downs Loses Casino Bid on 3-1 Vote
- Injury Forces Sea The Moon's Retirement
- Is California Chrome Vulnerable in PA Derby?
- 'Gold Hopes to Keep Churchill Record Intact