Evan Hammonds reflects on the QE II Challenge Cup Stakes, Knickerbocker Stakes, and Athenia Stakes. watch video
Shadwell Stable's Alwajeeha stalked the pace under John Velazquez, took over coming out of the turn, and held off a host of rivals to win the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup (gr. IT) by 1 1/4 lengths Oct. 11 at Keeneland. The victory was especially sweet for Velazquez, who was involved in a bad spill just eight days before in Lexington.
Rakti held off Lucky Story for a half-length victory Saturday in the $556,530 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I), the last big event before the Ascot course is closed and rebuilt.
Most Popular Stories
- Bettys Bambino Wins Daytona in Stakes Debut
- Gentildonna Goes Out On Top in Career Finale
- Main Sequence Arrives in Florida for Winter
- Posse Offspring Take Pair of NY-Bred Stakes
- Cowtown Cat Moves to Ohio's Mapleton for 2015
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely