Evan Hammonds reflects on the QE II Challenge Cup Stakes, Knickerbocker Stakes, and Athenia Stakes. watch video
Shadwell Stable's Alwajeeha stalked the pace under John Velazquez, took over coming out of the turn, and held off a host of rivals to win the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup (gr. IT) by 1 1/4 lengths Oct. 11 at Keeneland. The victory was especially sweet for Velazquez, who was involved in a bad spill just eight days before in Lexington.
Rakti held off Lucky Story for a half-length victory Saturday in the $556,530 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I), the last big event before the Ascot course is closed and rebuilt.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- Coltimus Prime Rules Prince of Wales
- Purses, Races Set for WV Classics Card
- Montana Jockey Seriously Injured in Spill
- Study: EIPH Does Not Shorten Racing Careers
- Plenty of Options for Bayern after Haskell
- Equibase Announces Redesigned Website
- Ashford's Shanghai Bobby to Shuttle to Brazil
- Kingman, Toronado Set for Sussex Clash