Evan Hammonds reflects on the QE II Challenge Cup Stakes, Knickerbocker Stakes, and Athenia Stakes. watch video
Shadwell Stable's Alwajeeha stalked the pace under John Velazquez, took over coming out of the turn, and held off a host of rivals to win the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup (gr. IT) by 1 1/4 lengths Oct. 11 at Keeneland. The victory was especially sweet for Velazquez, who was involved in a bad spill just eight days before in Lexington.
Rakti held off Lucky Story for a half-length victory Saturday in the $556,530 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I), the last big event before the Ascot course is closed and rebuilt.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Set for Pa. Derby Comeback
- Big Blue Kitten Back in Jersey's Cliff Hanger
- Shared Belief Favored in Pacific Classic
- TVG to Have Enhanced Pacific Classic Coverage
- Tapestry Upsets Taghrooda in Yorkshire Oaks
- Champion Benny the Bull to Bridlewood in 2015
- That Handicapping Show: Travers Stakes
- Second Sporting Art Auction in November
- Handicapping a Fantastic Travers Day
- Vergara Wins Inaugural Apprentice Competition