Evan Hammonds reflects on the QE II Challenge Cup Stakes, Knickerbocker Stakes, and Athenia Stakes. watch video
Shadwell Stable's Alwajeeha stalked the pace under John Velazquez, took over coming out of the turn, and held off a host of rivals to win the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup (gr. IT) by 1 1/4 lengths Oct. 11 at Keeneland. The victory was especially sweet for Velazquez, who was involved in a bad spill just eight days before in Lexington.
Rakti held off Lucky Story for a half-length victory Saturday in the $556,530 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I), the last big event before the Ascot course is closed and rebuilt.
Most Popular Stories
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Top Three Derby Finishers Stretch Legs Monday
- Anti-Slaughter Bill Introduced in Congress
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- GI Winners Untapable, Lea Work in Kentucky
- Arrests in Connection With Derby Night Death
- 'Sea Hero' Symposium Set for May 30
- Divining Rod On Target for Preakness Stakes
- Keeneland Asks to Move Simulcasts to Red Mile
- Chinese Buyer Lands Top Two Mares at Inglis