Evan Hammonds reflects on the QE II Challenge Cup Stakes, Knickerbocker Stakes, and Athenia Stakes. watch video
Shadwell Stable's Alwajeeha stalked the pace under John Velazquez, took over coming out of the turn, and held off a host of rivals to win the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup (gr. IT) by 1 1/4 lengths Oct. 11 at Keeneland. The victory was especially sweet for Velazquez, who was involved in a bad spill just eight days before in Lexington.
Rakti held off Lucky Story for a half-length victory Saturday in the $556,530 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I), the last big event before the Ascot course is closed and rebuilt.
Most Popular Stories
- Encouraging Starts to Saratoga, Del Mar Meets
- Commanding Curve Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Better Lucky Shines; My Miss Aurelia Third
- Filly Untapable Works Toward Haskell
- Will Take Charge Works Toward Whitney
- Grade I Winner Heir Kitty Tops Del Mar Sale
- Kiss to Remember Steps Up in Indiana Grand
- Matz Says He Nearly Retired Somali Lemonade
- Milestone Win 1,000 for Jockey Magrell
- Favorite Tale, Choctaw Chuck Top Quick Call