Former claimer Willyconker became a grade I winner when he outlasted odds-on choice Mr. Commons in a thrilling finish to the $300,000 Frank E. Kilroe Mile (gr. IT) at odds of 10-1 March 3 on the Santa Anita turf course.
Oil Man struck graded gold for the first time when he surged past his rivals with a big late kick in the $100,000 Cinema Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Hollywood Park turf June 21.
Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III) winner Congaree, third in the 2001 Kentucky Derby, will not make his turf debut in Churchill Downs' Firecracker Breeders' Cup (gr. II) on July 4 as previously planned.
Mack Fehsenfeld's 8-year-old Key Lory overcame an eight-month layoff to earn his fourth consecutive victory in Saturday's $100,000 Red Bank Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park. Under Harry Vega. Key Lory completed the mile in 1:35.92 on the firm turf course.
Pyrus edged Proud Man by a neck Saturday in the grade III $112,100 Fort Marcy Handicap at Aqueduct. Pyrus, ridden by Edgar Prado and carrying 113 pounds, ran 1 1/16 miles in 1:44.53 on the yielding turf course.
Joe L. Allbritton's 2-year-old colt Bad As I Wanna Be earned his second career victory Sunday, winning the Prix Morny Casinos Barriere (Fr-I) by six lengths at Deauville, France.
Most Popular Stories
- Divisidero, Bolo Meet in Deep Belmont Derby
- Classic Winner Tonalist Towers Over Suburban
- Grade I Winners Meet in Belmont Sprint
- Red Rifle Rallies to Dominion Day Victory
- Twining Dies in Japan at Age 24
- Our Caravan Spoils Normandy Invasion Comeback
- Former Owner, Publicity Director Disney Dies
- Trainer Walsh Says Mistake Led to Positive
- Wise Dan Cleared to Resume Full Training
- California Implements New Whip Rule