Citing an overall decline in wagering, Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots has canceled four stakes and cut purses for a dozen others, including the Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II), which went from $500,000 to $400,000.
Lower than expected wagering has prompted Ellis Park to reduce overnight purses by 15% for the remainder of the race meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Pensioned Top Maryland Sire Not For Love Dies
- Second Saratoga Group Sounds Off on NYRA Plan
- Santa Anita Pick 6 Pays Over $1.47 Million
- Ride On Curlin to Florida's Pleasant Acres
- Purses Enhanced for 2016 Ellis Park Meet
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Illuminant Upsets Wekeela in Gamely Stakes
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Stahlbaum Wins Avelino Gomez Award
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'