Keeneland, in partnership with Sheikh Hamdan's Shadwell Farm, announced the Shadwell Turf Mile (gr. IT) will carry a $1 million purse for its 29th running Saturday, Oct. 4.
- By Vic Zast
There were three stakes races, each with a purse of $100,000, on Wednesday. read blog
Purse winnings for the victorious effort of Einstein in the March 7 Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) are being contested by former clients of the horse's owners, Shirley Cunningham Jr. and William Gallion.
Arlington Park management has reached an agreement with the Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association (ITHA) to offer a bonus of up to 5% of the base purse of overnight races contingent upon the number of distinct wagering interests in the starting field.
The 45th renewal of the New York Breeders' Futurity, set to be held Oct. 6 at Finger Lakes Racetrack, offers the largest purse in the history of the Western New York track with $269,200 available to New York-bred 2-year-olds sprinting six furlongs over the dirt.
Good weather and higher handles are driving up purses at Oaklawn Park and Turfway Park. Oaklawn will increase purses by $1,000 per race starting Saturday, while Turfway Park will increase purses 7% beginning with Friday's card. Both purse increases exclude stakes races.
While Arlington International Racecourse finalizes its marriage with Churchill Downs, it is preparing to hike overnight purses for its “Summer Festival of Racing” to about $275,000 per day.
Philadelphia Park announced a $10,000 per day purse increase.
More than $600,000 that became available through pari-mutuel legislation will be used to fund 26 stakes for Florida-breds at Calder Race Course through the end of the year.
Most Popular Stories
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Disco Rico Euthanized After Laminitis Battle
- Horsemen, Suffolk Downs Continue Discussion
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- Slideshow: 2014 Farewells
- Attorney: NYTHA Protest Plan Not Objective
- Red Pollard Seabiscuit Saddle to be Auctioned