Proven Cure became only the fifth Thoroughbred since 1976 to win a stakes race at the age of 12 when he rolled to a three-length victory over Mr. Meso in Saturday's $40,000 Littlebitlively Stakes at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas.
The new year has begun, and all across the country, 3-year-olds are preparing for the grueling march to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). The horses that remain from last year's classic crop are just beginning their journey to the Breeders' Cup. But the main headlines should belong to Proven Cure, who truly is the star of the year so far.
Nine-year-old Bet On Sunshine won the $108,400 Aristides Handicap for the second consecutive year on Saturday, and for the second straight year the Paul McGee-trained gelding set a stakes record in winning the 6 1/2-furlong Churchill Downs contest. On a fast track, Bet On Sunshine stopped the timer in 1:14.79, finishing 3 1/2 lengths ahead of Alannan.
Frank J. DeFrancis Memorial Dash Stakes (gr. I) winner Richter Scale, the 123-pound highweight for Wednesday’s $250,000 Forego Handicap (gr. II), will break from post position 10 in the ten-horse field entered for the 6 1/2-furlong race at Saratoga.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begins Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill