The $100,000 Southwest Stakes, the second of three local preps for the $1-million Arkansas Derby (gr. II) on April 10, lured a field of 10, including a pair of two-horse couplings, Feb. 28 at Oaklawn Park.
After the defection of Tapit last week, graded stakes winner Mr. Jester will provide the star power for Sunday's $150,000 Risen Star Stakes (gr. III) at Fair Grounds.
The Cliff's Edge won the Kentucky Jockey Club (gr. II) at Churchill Downs Saturday, after which trainer Nick Zito said he would still rank the colt behind two of his other juveniles, Eurosilver and Birdstone.
Trainer Nick Zito looks for another big effort by The Cliff's Edge, the odds-on favorite for Saturday's $200,000-added Kentucky Jockey Club (gr. II) for 2-year-olds at Churchill Downs
This is the eighth in a series of early looks at next year's potential Derby horses. With the Remsen Stakes and Kentucky Jockey Club to be run Saturday, and the Hollywood Futurity next month, there still are a number of exciting 2-year-olds who could vault into prominence.
Friday's Bourbon County Stakes at Keeneland is oversubscribed, with 12 horses vying to contest the 8 1/2-furlong race slated to take place on the track's Haggin Turf Course. Only 10 horses will be permitted to race.
Most Popular Stories
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Cyrus Alexander Wins Lone Star Handicap
- Illuminant Upsets Wekeela in Gamely Stakes
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Living The Life Beats Males in All American
- Exaggerator Gallops Lap Around Belmont Track
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Untapable Prepares for Start in Fleur de Lis
- The Art of Exaggerator's Stud Deal
- Belterra Stakes Dead Heat Follows Churchill