Grade I winner Sutra is the 123-pound highweight for Thursday's $250,000 Stonerside Beaumont (gr. II) at Keeneland, a race for 3-year-old fillies at about seven furlongs.
Lady Joanne, with John McKee in the irons, challenged heavily favored Change Up on the backstretch and dueled with that rival into deep stretch before she pulled away to score a 1 1/4-length victory in the 63rd-running of the $224,600, grade II Golden Rod for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs.
Saturday's $200,000-added Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs will pit father against son as veteran trainer Bernie Flint will saddle Mike Rutherford's Cohiba Miss in a bid to upset Richard, Elaine, and Bert Klein's Change Up, trained by his son, Steve.
Favored Change Up gave jockey Garrett Gomez a sweep of Saturday's opening-day stakes for juveniles when she wore down the stubborn Mistical Plan in the stretch and scored a two-length victory in the $114,300 Pocahontas (gr. III) for fillies at Churchill Downs.
Richard, Elaine and Bert Klein's Change Up, on the outside looking in at the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), finds a challenging spot as the probable favorite in Sunday's $100,000-added Pocahontas at Churchill Downs.
Trainer Todd Pletcher, dominating the juvenile stakes ranks as usual at Saratoga Race Course, sends out Dogwood Stables' Cotton Blossoom, the likely favorite in Sunday's $250,000 Spinaway (gr. I).
Making his second lifetime start, Heiligbrodt Racing Stable's Datrick disposed of stablemate Sentry in mid-stretch and edged away to win the $184,250 Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 2-year-olds Thursday at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Options Abound for Holy Bull Winner Upstart
- Bob Neumeier Wins Celebrity Challenge at NHC
- Rising Star Cassatt Captures Ladies Classic
- R Sassy Lass Tops OBS Racing Card Tuesday
- Desormeaux Sets Derby Path for Texas Red
- Coalport Convincing Winner of Connally Cup
- Able Friend Storms to Stewards' Cup Triumph
- Catalog Online for Barretts 2-Year-Old Sale
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull
- 'Chrome Set for San Antonio; Bayern Doubtful