In what can only be described as a major industry surprise, Paul Makin, the colorful bookmaker who owns and races current group ! Cox Plate favorite Starcraft (Soviet Star -- Flying Foozie), has been revealed as the person who secretly paid $1.5 million (U.S.$1.1 million) for champion Australian racemare Private Steer (Danehill Dancer -- Lisheenowen).
The immediate future of Australia's best galloper, Private Steer, will be decided in the next 48 hours according to her syndicate manager, Avo Damirdjian.
Private Steer advanced toward the W.S. Cox Plate (Aust-I), her first appearance at five producing an effortless win in the $200,000 (Australian funds) Warwick Stakes at Warwick Farm Aug. 21.
Retired Australian great Lonhro collected more than 94% of the possible votes to be named the continent's Horse of the year Aug. 4.
Glen Boss continued a hot streak as Private Steer staged an astonishing last-to-first win in the $2.5 million (Australian funds) Doncaster Handicap (Aust-I) today at Randwick.
Private Steer's soft win in the $1 million (Australian funds) Stradbroke Handicap (Aust-I) on June 7 again underscored the long-term value of the recently deceased Danehill.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban