Gulfstream Park sets increases in purses and number of stakes for 2016, as it aims to draw top horses and large fields to its spring-summer meet.
Three-time graded-stakes winner Merry Meadow will cut back to her ideal distance when she returns from more than a three-month layoff in the $250,000 Princess Rooney Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park July 5.
Gulfstream Park announced a record $4.7 million summer stakes schedule March 1. The schedule will feature five graded stakes starting April 25 with the Miami Mile (gr. III) on the turf.
Calder Casino & Race Course said June 16 it has canceled its "Summit of Speed" program scheduled for July 5 because of its pending racing-dates deal with nearby Gulfstream Park.
Jason, Tom, and Les Instone of twinspires.com preview the Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) at Hollywood Park on July 10. Plus, picks for the Princess Rooney (gr. I). Watch Video
Jason, Tom, and Tim Holland from Twinspires/Brisnet preview the Princess Rooney (gr. I) at Calder on July 11. Watch Video
Caller One, the earner of more than $3-million who defected from the Golden Jubilee Stakes (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot, England, and champion Xtra Heat are among the nominees to Calder's 'Summit of Speed' day program on July 13. The race card that day includes four six-furlong stakes with $1.3 million in purses.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Rabada Strikes for Second Group I Win in SAf
- Exaggerator Gallops at Pimlico Race Course
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever