Queen's Triomphe at 64-1 and jockey Jose Espinoza pulled away from favored Message Red to win the $82,875 Montauk Handicap for fillies and mares by 2 1/4 lengths at Aqueduct on Sunday.
Randy J. Sarf's and Old Brookside Farm's Quiet Ruler caught soft turf when he won the Mohawk Handicap at better than 45-1 last year under jockey John Velazquez. Saturday afternoon, he again found the turf to his liking, picked up Velazquez in replacement of Wilson Dieguez and won the $150,000 Mohawk Handicap for New York breds at 1 1/8 mile on the soft inner turf course.
James F. Edwards' Princess Dixie controlled the pace with a gate to wire victory in Sunday's $114,300 Mount Vernon Handicap for New York-bred fillies and mares at Belmont Park.
Despite an erratic stretch run, Along Came Mary won the $82,550 Montauk Handicap by 2 1/2 lengths on a cold Sunday afternoon at Aqueduct.
Jose Santos made the first part of New York Showcase Day his personal showcase, winning his third straight stakes race Saturday afternoon at Belmont Park with Cynthia Knight's Dat You Miz Blue.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Keeneland Ends With Handle, Attendance Gains
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup
- Laoban Works Toward Preakness ... or Derby