When Rock Sand swept the English Triple Crown series in 1903, many thought him lucky not to have faced Zinfandel.
Long before Secretariat and Riva Ridge carried the colors of Meadow Stable to Triple Crown glory, those blue and white checkered silks of the Chenery family were made famous by one of the best horses of an earlier generation.
A visual look at ex-claimers who became grade I winners, including Princequillo, Stymie, Lava Man, and more. A companion to the article in the February 14 edition of The Blood-Horse. view slideshow
Princequillo, Stymie, Lava Man, Maryfield, Palace, Iotapa, Belle Gallantey & More
The grade I-winning son of Apalachee moves from Louisiana to Kentucky for 2013 breeding season.
Big Red born March 30, 1970, at Christopher T. Chenery's The Meadow near Doswell, Va. The son of Bold Ruler would become racing's ninth Triple Crown winner in 1973.
The Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II) wasn't the most prestigious race run in the U.S. on the Labor Day weekend in terms of graded standing, but with a $1 million purse, it certainly was the richest. In a close finish, the race went to Timber Reserve, who emerged as another notable from "second season" 3-year-olds by equaling the stakes record. The Pennsylvania Derby was only the sixth career start for Timber Reserve, who had broken his maiden in his third start at 2, and then ran fourth in the Remsen Stakes (gr. II) on his only other juvenile outing.
The 2003 Horse of the Year, Mineshaft, his trainer, and his regular rider make up three-fourths of the induction class of 2005 for the Fair Grounds Racing Hall of Fame, track officials announced Sept. 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Exaggerator Gallops Lap Around Belmont Track
- Untapable Prepares for Start in Fleur de Lis
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Belterra Stakes Dead Heat Follows Churchill
- The Art of Exaggerator's Stud Deal
- Magic Millions Weanling Sale Sets Records
- Exaggerator Arrives at Belmont Park
- Songbird Works at Santa Anita, Target Unknown