Outsider Sgt. Bert set a Keeneland course record for 5 1/2 furlongs on the turf Sunday while winning the $114,600 Woodford Stakes for the second year in a row.
Glencrest Farm's 5-year-old mare Honey Ryder won the $150,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Gulfstream Park last year and defends her title in Saturday's renewal of the 12-furlong turf test.
The fast-improving Honey Rider slid off the rail in upper stretch to reach the front, then outfought the late charging Ellieonthemarch for a half-length victory in the $150,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares on the Gulfstream Park turf Saturday.
An overflow field of 3-year-old fillies was entered for Saturday's $100,000 Valley View Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland, going 1 1/16-miles on the turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Zayat Wants 'Pharoah' to Run in Travers
- Hail and Farewell Already
- Honor Code Favored in Sparkling Whitney Field
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- American Pharoah Takes the Haskell
- Shared Belief Still Healing in Northwest
- Wise Dan on Target for September Return
- Priority One Jets to Sponsor Forego Stakes
- NYRA Reports Strong Handle Early at Saratoga
- Haskell TV Ratings Double Compared With 2014