Trainer Tom Albertrani may have a promising 3-year-old on the Derby trail for Darley Stable-or so it would seem after the $109,000 Whirlaway Stakes. Going 1 1/16-miles over Aqueduct's inner track, Darley's Barrier Reef battled it down to the wire with a tenacious Roman Emperor and eked out a determined half-length win Feb. 2.
Premiership, who led the nation by 2-year-old winners as a freshman sire, died in June at Cam and Sherisse Ziprick's Ziprick Thoroughbreds near Russell, Manitoba, Canada.
Lucky North and Premiership, who have combined to sire more than 50 stakes winners, have been moved to Cam and Sherisse Ziprick's Ziprick Thoroughbreds near Russell, Manitoba, Canada.
Most Popular Stories
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Alsvid Takes on Lord Nelson in Bing Crosby
- Mountaineer's Leading Trainer Suspended
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Shuvee Class Drop for Grade I Winner Curalina
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- Litfin at Large: Jim Dandy Saturday