Awesome Gem, the richest horse to ever race in Washington, was too much for local star Noosa Beach in the $200,000 Longacres Mile Handicap (gr. III) at Emerald Downs.
Defending champion Noosa Beach and leading challenger Awesome Gem drew the far outside posts in a field of 12 entered for Washington's $200,000 Longacres Mile (gr. III). The signature race at Emerald Downs is Aug. 21.
Grade II winner Meteore was euthanized after fracturing his right ankle in an allowance race at Golden Gate Fields April 2.
This weekend's stakes action will be as much about earnings as the performances of the horses competing.
Six horses have been added to the list of 3-year-old Thoroughbreds eligible to compete in the 2010 Triple Crown after their owners paid a required $6,000 fee during the late nominating period ending March 27.
Trainer Bob Baffert says he just wants to get the standout son of Smart Strike through his final prep in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 3 and get on to Kentucky.
Following Lookin At Lucky's six-furlong workout at Santa Anita March 28, trainer Bob Baffert said his colt is "90% sure" for the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) on April 3.
Time to reevaluate some of the horses and races, and a look at the Sham Stakes and several classy maiden and allowance races.
Trainer Todd Pletcher completed a 3-year-old stakes triple Feb. 20 when favored Connemara, ridden by Russell Baze, captured the $150,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
The top three finishers in the Jan. 16 California Derby -- Ranger Heartley, Connemara, and Thomas Baines -- top the 10-horse field entered for the Feb. 20 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz