The defection of Sam-Son Farm's Strut the Stage from Sunday's $1.5-million Pattison Canadian International (Can-I) at Woodbine did nothing to diminish the field. Instead it opened the door for a field of 11 talented runners, including two additional Sam-Son runners, Portcullis, and the up-and-coming Shoal Water. Sam-Son Farmwon the Canadian International in 1991 with Sky Classic and the 1997 edition with Chief Bearheart.
Sam-Son Farm's million-dollar star Strut the Stage is out of Sunday's $1.5-million Canadian International (Can-I) at Woodbine with a possible back problem, trainer Mark Frostad said Wednesday.
Sam-Son Farm's Strut The Stage gave one of his command performances Saturday at Woodbine, capturing the $337,200 Niagara Breeders' Cup Stakes Handicap (Can-II).
When it comes to a high-profile event such as Saturday's $337,200 Niagara Breeders' Cup Stakes (Can-II) at Woodbine, running two horses is definitely better than one. If those horses happen to be Portcullis and Strut the Stage, the odds get even better.
It's a wide-open 10-horse field that will battle it out at Woodbine Saturday in the $500,000 Breeders' Stakes, the third jewel of Canada's Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing.
Fusao Sekiguchi's Flying Dash was installed as the 2-1 morning-line favorite for the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT), the 1 1/8-mile turf feature Saturday at Hawthorne.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity