There are 116 horses cataloged for the 26th annual Barretts sale of selected 2-year-olds in training to be held Feb. 23 at the Hinds Pavilion at Fairplex Park in Pomona, Calif.
Retired trainer Mel Stute, 85, still recuperating in Pomona, Calif., from a spill in which he suffered a head injury, hopes to celebrate Christmas with a post-holiday visit at a satellite facility for Santa Anita's opener.
Barretts officials hope to conclude their 2012 selling season with a strong yearling auction.
Barretts has cataloged 236 horses for its October yearling sale. The number is down 6.7% from last year's total of 253.
Barretts has cataloged 253 horses for its October yearling sale. The auction will be held Oct. 11 and 12 at the Hinds Pavilion, which is located on the grounds of Fairplex Park in Pomona, Calif.
The California October yearling sale has 327 horses in its catalogue.
A California-bred filly by millionaire Event of the Year, out of the unraced Storm Cat mare Stormy Regina, brought a final bid of $160,000 to top the Barretts October preferred yearling sale Tuesday in Pomona, Calif.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick -- Closing the curtain on racing at the Los Angeles County Fair would stir up some memories of a not-so-distant past when the Pomona bullring was a source of great entertainment and a diversion from the serious side of our sport.
The $50,000 Foothill Stakes at 6 1/2 furlongs is the opening day feature as racing returns to the Los Angeles County Fair at Fairplex Park in Pomona today. At least one stakes race will be run on each of the 18 cards during the meet, which runs through Sept. 24. Stakes purse money will total $1.15 million.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot