Retired trainer Mel Stute, 85, still recuperating in Pomona, Calif., from a spill in which he suffered a head injury, hopes to celebrate Christmas with a post-holiday visit at a satellite facility for Santa Anita's opener.
Barretts officials hope to conclude their 2012 selling season with a strong yearling auction.
Barretts has cataloged 236 horses for its October yearling sale. The number is down 6.7% from last year's total of 253.
Barretts has cataloged 253 horses for its October yearling sale. The auction will be held Oct. 11 and 12 at the Hinds Pavilion, which is located on the grounds of Fairplex Park in Pomona, Calif.
The California October yearling sale has 327 horses in its catalogue.
A California-bred filly by millionaire Event of the Year, out of the unraced Storm Cat mare Stormy Regina, brought a final bid of $160,000 to top the Barretts October preferred yearling sale Tuesday in Pomona, Calif.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick -- Closing the curtain on racing at the Los Angeles County Fair would stir up some memories of a not-so-distant past when the Pomona bullring was a source of great entertainment and a diversion from the serious side of our sport.
The $50,000 Foothill Stakes at 6 1/2 furlongs is the opening day feature as racing returns to the Los Angeles County Fair at Fairplex Park in Pomona today. At least one stakes race will be run on each of the 18 cards during the meet, which runs through Sept. 24. Stakes purse money will total $1.15 million.
Most Popular Stories
- Two-Time Champion Beholder Out of BC Distaff
- Hillstar Shoots to Canadian International Win
- Just The Judge Earns E. P. Taylor Verdict
- Head May Continue Mile Success with Anodin
- Maturing White Rose Blossoms in Dowager
- Untapable Tops Worktab Sunday at Santa Anita
- Caspar Netscher Up in Time for Nearctic Win
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Fresh Native Bombshell Wins Ontario Fashion
- Undrafted Drills 5 Furlongs for Turf Sprint