The Thoroughbred Safety Committee announced June 17 that it is recommending the elimination of steroids in race training and racing, a ban on toe grabs, and a series of whip-related reforms, all aimed at improving safety and integrity in Thoroughbred racing.
The first reported foal sired by millionaire Badge of Silver is a filly born Jan. 26 at Carl Pollard's Hermitage Farm near Goshen, Ky.
Populi, dam of champion Vanlandingham, was euthanized Sept. 25 because of the infirmities of old age.
Temperence Hill, whose upset victory in the 1980 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) set the stage for a run toward a 3-year-old championship, died this summer at Sawang Jai Farm near Bangkok, Thailand.
The Jockey Club has elected Michael C. Byrne, J. Michael O’Farrell, Leverett Miller, John C. Oxley, John W. Phillips, Dr. Hiram C. Polk Jr., and Dr. J. David Richardson to its membership.
Most Popular Stories
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Leave the Light On Off Derby Trail
- Is Ceftiofur Sodium an Effective Treatment for Placentitis?
- The Legacy of Gone West
- Withers Favorite El Kabeir Breezes at Belmont
- Honor Code, Top Billing Near 4YO Debuts
- KY Derby Winner Thunder Gulch Pensioned at 23
- 2014 New Mexico Champions Announced
- Texas Red Set for Super Return in San Vicente
- Turfway Increases Purses, Adds Race Per Week