The Thoroughbred Safety Committee announced June 17 that it is recommending the elimination of steroids in race training and racing, a ban on toe grabs, and a series of whip-related reforms, all aimed at improving safety and integrity in Thoroughbred racing.
The first reported foal sired by millionaire Badge of Silver is a filly born Jan. 26 at Carl Pollard's Hermitage Farm near Goshen, Ky.
Populi, dam of champion Vanlandingham, was euthanized Sept. 25 because of the infirmities of old age.
Temperence Hill, whose upset victory in the 1980 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) set the stage for a run toward a 3-year-old championship, died this summer at Sawang Jai Farm near Bangkok, Thailand.
The Jockey Club has elected Michael C. Byrne, J. Michael O’Farrell, Leverett Miller, John C. Oxley, John W. Phillips, Dr. Hiram C. Polk Jr., and Dr. J. David Richardson to its membership.
Most Popular Stories
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Bangkok Upsets Melmich in Valedictory
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm