The connections of 2003 Horse of the Year Mineshaft may have a prime Triple Crown candidate this year with lightly-raced Gradepoint, who posted a resilient come-from-behind win over odds-on favorite Mr. Jester in the $150,000 Risen Star Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Fair Grounds Sunday.
Mr. Jester, winner of the $1 million Delta Jackpot last December, makes his 3-year-old debut in Sunday's $150,000 Risen Star Stakes (gr. III). Among his six opponents will be the Neil Howard-trained Gradepoint, winner of his last two starts.
Fire Slam put all questions about his health to rest Saturday by storming home a two-length winner in the $100,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III) at Fair Grounds.
The road to the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) begins Saturday at Fair Grounds as a field of seven 3-year-olds meet in the grade III $100,000 Lecomte Stakes.
Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC's Tapit, jumped from a debut maiden score a month ago to trounce a field of 2-year-olds in Saturday's $100,000 Laurel Futurity (gr. III).
The $300,000 Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash (grade I) is the headline event of Saturday's Fall Festival of Racing, but the day also features five additional stakes races on the 10-race program.
An overheated pace set up the late charge of Edward Turner's Michael's Pride, the winner of the $100,000 Maryland Million Sprint Handicap at six furlongs on the main track.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer
- Emerald Purses to Rise 20% for 2015 Season
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- OBS Winter Mixed Sale Catalog Now Online
- Bridlewood Owner Malone Purchases Ballylinch
- Casino Would Negatively Impact Finger Lakes
- Penn Mile Tops 193-Day Penn National Schedule
- Pedigree Analysis: Milwaukee Brew