Gary and Mary West's Poker Player has a shot at the big money Nov. 1 at Santa Anita in the $1 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf (gr. IT).
The Breeders' Cup will reinstate entry fee benefits to the winners of Challenge races that lost their designation when the events came off the turf at Keeneland, but they will not receive an automatic starting position.
- By Tom LaMarra
A damp first weekend didn't seem to greatly impact the proceedings at Keeneland. watch photo
Trainer Wayne Catalano was doing a little advance planning the morning of Oct. 7, both in the short term for the Keeneland meet and for a few weeks down the road at the Breeders' Cup World Championships at Santa Anita.
Gary and Mary West's Poker Player unleashed a huge move in mid-stretch to collar the leaders for an impressive victory in the off-the-turf Bourbon Stakes at a water-sogged Keeneland Race Course Oct. 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- Chasing Landaluce
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- Tattersalls Ends Year With Soaring Figures
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Jockey De La Cruz Registers 1,000th Victory
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa