A state appeals court in Tallahassee, Fla., has given Gretna Racing LLC what could be a final legal "no" in its bid to resume pari-mutuel barrel racing.
The Gadsden County Florida Board of Commissioners unanimously approved Gretna Racing LLC's request to authorize a referendum.
Gretna Racing is asking the government of Gadsden County, Fla., to authorize a referendum in which that county's voters would decide whether to allow slot machines at the facility where it is preparing for barrel racing.
The Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering late in the afternoon Oct. 19 approved an application by Gretna Racing LLC to use its Quarter Horse permit to conduct pari-mutuel barrel racing at its facility in Gretna, Fla.
In an application that is generating controversy over the use of racing permits, a Quarter Horse permit-holder in Gretna, Fla., has asked the Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering for permission to hold barrel racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Albarado Fractures Ankle, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Irad Ortiz Jr. Wins Aqueduct Riding Title
- Dolphus Outruns Quality Field at Aqueduct
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- J Boys Echo Breezes Five Furlongs at Churchill
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Party Boat Upsets Fifty Five in Memories of Silver
- Southern Ring Speeds to Whimsical Victory
- Imperative Repeats in Charles Town Classic