A state appeals court in Tallahassee, Fla., has given Gretna Racing LLC what could be a final legal "no" in its bid to resume pari-mutuel barrel racing.
The Gadsden County Florida Board of Commissioners unanimously approved Gretna Racing LLC's request to authorize a referendum.
Gretna Racing is asking the government of Gadsden County, Fla., to authorize a referendum in which that county's voters would decide whether to allow slot machines at the facility where it is preparing for barrel racing.
The Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering late in the afternoon Oct. 19 approved an application by Gretna Racing LLC to use its Quarter Horse permit to conduct pari-mutuel barrel racing at its facility in Gretna, Fla.
In an application that is generating controversy over the use of racing permits, a Quarter Horse permit-holder in Gretna, Fla., has asked the Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering for permission to hold barrel racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Six Neglected Horses Cleared to Leave Farm
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Tampa Bay Downs Ready for Summer Festival
- Thoroughbred Makeover Tickets Now for Sale
- What's Going On Here: Internal Forces
- PA House Panel Passes Breeding Fund Revisions
- Rood & Riddle to Sponsor Breeders' Cup Draw
- No Horses Injured in Pennsylvania Barn Fire
- Major Expansion Planned for Aqueduct Casino
- Cuomo Administration Fires Back at Criticism