Trainer Harvey Vanier, a mainstay at Illinois and Kentucky tracks for more than 60 years, died Dec. 1 in Versailles, Ky., at age 89.
Play Fellow, who won more grade I stakes at 3 than any member of his foal crop, was euthanized Dec. 17 at Nuckols Farm near Midway, Ky., because of the infirmities of old age.
Western Playboy, who won the 1989 Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I), died in April at Harvey and Nancy Vanier's Fairberry Farm near Waterloo, Ill.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Gun Runner Posts Bullet in Breeze for Whitney
- Madam Dancealot Closes From Last to Win San Clemente
- Girvin Has Final Work Ahead of Haskell
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Brown in High Spirits After Three Saratoga Wins
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations