Trainer Harvey Vanier, a mainstay at Illinois and Kentucky tracks for more than 60 years, died Dec. 1 in Versailles, Ky., at age 89.
Play Fellow, who won more grade I stakes at 3 than any member of his foal crop, was euthanized Dec. 17 at Nuckols Farm near Midway, Ky., because of the infirmities of old age.
Western Playboy, who won the 1989 Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I), died in April at Harvey and Nancy Vanier's Fairberry Farm near Waterloo, Ill.
Most Popular Stories
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit
- Asmussen Earns $50,000 Preakness Weekend Bonus
- The Greatest Performance No One Has Seen
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Enola Gray, Illuminant Look Strong in Monrovia Field
- Freshman Flashpoint Gets His First Winner
- Maker a Triple Threat in AP Classic