Walter Swinburn's Legendary (GB) attended the pace in the $200,000 Knickerbocker Stakes (gr. IIIT) and kicked clear to hold off 2-1 favorite Up With the Birds Oct. 11 at Belmont Park, collecting his first graded score.
Multiple grade III winner Za Approval will try to win a second straight edition of the $200,000 Knickerbocker Stakes (gr. IIIT) when he starts in the 1 1/8-mile turf race Oct. 11 at Belmont Park.
Winning Cause, getting an ideal stalking trip from jockey Eddie Castro, staved off odds-on choice Big Blue Kitten to win the Cliff Hanger Stakes (gr. IIIT) Aug. 24 on turf at Monmouth Park, halting a 10-race losing skid.
Ken and Sarah Ramsey's two-time grade I winner Big Blue Kitten was guided out of a pocket in the stretch and completed a last-to-first rally in the $100,000 Lure Stakes in his 2014 debut Aug. 2 at Saratoga Race Course.
Za Approval, runner-up to Wise Dan in last year's Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), tops the seven-horse field that will contest the Poker Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the May 26 Memorial Day card at Belmont Park.
Trainer Shug McGaughey said emphatically that turf star Point of Entry will compete in the $500,000 Woodford Reserve Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) June 8, despite the forecast for rain over the weekend.
Most Popular Stories
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Official Veterinary Team From China Visits Kentucky
- Business as Usual for J Boys Echo in Derby Breeze
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move