Walter Swinburn's Legendary (GB) attended the pace in the $200,000 Knickerbocker Stakes (gr. IIIT) and kicked clear to hold off 2-1 favorite Up With the Birds Oct. 11 at Belmont Park, collecting his first graded score.
Multiple grade III winner Za Approval will try to win a second straight edition of the $200,000 Knickerbocker Stakes (gr. IIIT) when he starts in the 1 1/8-mile turf race Oct. 11 at Belmont Park.
Winning Cause, getting an ideal stalking trip from jockey Eddie Castro, staved off odds-on choice Big Blue Kitten to win the Cliff Hanger Stakes (gr. IIIT) Aug. 24 on turf at Monmouth Park, halting a 10-race losing skid.
Ken and Sarah Ramsey's two-time grade I winner Big Blue Kitten was guided out of a pocket in the stretch and completed a last-to-first rally in the $100,000 Lure Stakes in his 2014 debut Aug. 2 at Saratoga Race Course.
Za Approval, runner-up to Wise Dan in last year's Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), tops the seven-horse field that will contest the Poker Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the May 26 Memorial Day card at Belmont Park.
Trainer Shug McGaughey said emphatically that turf star Point of Entry will compete in the $500,000 Woodford Reserve Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) June 8, despite the forecast for rain over the weekend.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Aims to Give Summers First Win
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement