Winless in his three previous starts, Southern California invader Indy Wildcat surprised the field with an all-out effort to win the $100,000 Borderland Derby for 3-year-olds at Sunland Park.
Mike McCarty's Doctor Decherd, who won the Aventura Stakes Jan. 7 at Gulfstream Park by a nose, ships to the Southwest to run in the $100,000 Borderland Derby on Sunday at New Mexico's Sunland Park.
Favored Da Stoops left the field far behind on the turn and swept to the easiest of victories in the $250,000 Sunshine Millions Dash for 3-year-olds, the first of four stakes races at Santa Anita Park for California and Florida-bred horses Saturday.
In Summation, Calder Race Course's 2005 juvenile champion, and a couple of California breds with considerable promise, Da Stoops and Plagiarist, head a field of eight in the $250,000 Sunshine Millions Dash at Santa Anita Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Keeneland Ends With Handle, Attendance Gains