Piratesonthelake, a five-time winner in 2007 for trainer James DeVito, heads a closely matched group of 10 sophomore sprinters entered in the $200,000 Select Stakes on the Monmouth Park program Oct. 27.
Though just a $25,000 2-year-old purchase, Piratesonthelake has proven himself a consistent sprinter at both Hawthorne and Arlington Park, winning four races during the year. Now the bay gelding might get a chance to show his talent on a national stage, as an electrifying victory in the $100,000 Kentucky Cup Sprint (gr. III) at Turfway Park Sept. 29 may have paved his way to the Breeders' Cup next month.
Coming off a grade I triumph on Polytrack at Del Mar last month, it was no surprise that In Summation won the $150,000 Arlington Breeders' Cup Sprint Aug. 25 at Arlington Park as the 3-5 favorite. What was unexpected is that he had to share the victory with the pacesetter Piratesonthelake, who earned a dead heat.
Most Popular Stories
- Taghrooda Flies to King George Triumph
- Keeneland's Historical Racing Plans Delayed
- Irish Surf Runs Away in Cougar II Marathon
- Dance With Fate's Exercise Rider Has Surgery
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Whitney Card's Grade I Races Taking Shape
- LoPresti Unfazed by Slow Move from Wise Dan
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- V. E. Day Gives Lezcano Win 2,000 in Curlin
- Little Alexis Set for Test After Bullet Move