Piratesonthelake, a five-time winner in 2007 for trainer James DeVito, heads a closely matched group of 10 sophomore sprinters entered in the $200,000 Select Stakes on the Monmouth Park program Oct. 27.
Though just a $25,000 2-year-old purchase, Piratesonthelake has proven himself a consistent sprinter at both Hawthorne and Arlington Park, winning four races during the year. Now the bay gelding might get a chance to show his talent on a national stage, as an electrifying victory in the $100,000 Kentucky Cup Sprint (gr. III) at Turfway Park Sept. 29 may have paved his way to the Breeders' Cup next month.
Coming off a grade I triumph on Polytrack at Del Mar last month, it was no surprise that In Summation won the $150,000 Arlington Breeders' Cup Sprint Aug. 25 at Arlington Park as the 3-5 favorite. What was unexpected is that he had to share the victory with the pacesetter Piratesonthelake, who earned a dead heat.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses