Aubrey Villyard, a long-time Thoroughbred trainer in Washington State, died Dec. 9 after a long battle with leukemia. Mr. Villyard was 67.
Merv Griffin's Cobalt Blue, winner of the San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) two starts back, returns to the races in Saturday's $75,000 Alydar Stakes at Hollywood Park.
Grade I winners Romance is Diane, Greg's Gold and Debonair Joe are among the entries in Sunday's $1.3 million Gold Rush VIII program at Hollywood Park, a 10-race card for California-breds.
Paul Reddam's Liquidity, who nearly pulled off a 15-1 upset in the Hollywood Futurity (gr. I) Dec. 16, takes on a strong group of up-and-coming 3-year-olds in Saturday's $100,000 Sham (gr. III) at Santa Anita.
The California Thoroughbred Breeders' Association has announced its 2006 award winners, with the exception of Horse of the Year, which will be presented at the organization's annual meeting and awards dinner Feb. 5. Finalists for the honor include Brother Derek, Lava Man, and Thor's Echo.
Latent Heat posted a mild upset Tuesday in the grade I Malibu Stakes as the opening-day card at Santa Anita drew 32,931.
Raymond H. Cottrell Sr.'s Birdbirdstheword overcame a troubled start and held off a late charge from Pirates Deputy for a three-quarter length victory in the $1 million Boyd Gaming's Delta Jackpot (gr. III) at Louisiana's Delta Downs on Friday, Dec. 1.
A full field of 10 juveniles was entered Tuesday for Friday's running of the $1-million Boyd Gaming Delta Jackpot Stakes at Delta Downs Racetrack Casino & Hotel in Vinton, La.
Most Popular Stories
- Two IL Tracks File for Bankruptcy Protection
- British Racing Undertakes Education Program
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos