Gai Waterhouse, Australia's first lady of racing, enjoyed her first victory in the nation's most famous race when Fiorente took the Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) from Red Cadeaux in a thriller at Flemington Nov. 5.
Polish Precedent, sire of the multiple group I winners Pilsudski, Rakti, and Pure Grain, died following complications arising from colic surgery Tuesday night.
Pilsudski and Tikkanen, a pair of Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) winners in the 1990s who were sent to Japan for stallion duty, will be testing their siring skills on the Irish mainland.
Lord Arnold Weinstock of England has died, according to The Racing Post. The publication reported the 77-year-old resident of London died at his home Tuesday.
A Sunday Silence colt produced from 1996 Yerba Buena Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner Fanjica sold for ¥150 million ($1,190,476) to top the first session of the Japan Racing Horse Association's select foal sale on Monday. Consigned by Shadai Farm, the colt was purchased by Hiroyoshi Usuda.
Sir Micheal Stoute's Breeders' Cup duo of the Aga Kahn's Kalanisi (Turf) and Highclere's Petrushka (Filly & Mare Turf) were on the Churchill Downs turf course Sunday for what was scheduled to be a routine six-furlong work -- but little went according to plan. After three days of quiet canters and gallops over the grass course, Kalanisi unleashed a display of fractious and stubborn behavior worthy of the best of Classic contender Fusaichi Pegasus.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Mubtaahij the X Factor in Kentucky Derby
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for April 21, 2015
- Derby: War Story, Mr. Z to Breeze Wednesday
- Motion to Send out Kitten's Point in Bewitch
- Mubtaahij Works Three Furlongs at Arlington
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- Kentucky Oaks Notes, April 21
- McKathans Saw Early Brilliance of 'Pharoah'
- WV Analysis: Purses Can't Support Race Dates