Pedigrees don't win races, but on paper, none of the new faces to emerge so far in 2013 looks better than Elnaawi.
To Honor and Serve was undeniable in the $750,000 Woodward Stakes at Saratoga Race Course Sept. 1, holding off the late challenge of 4-5 favorite Mucho Macho Man to earn his second grade I by a neck.
Grade I winner To Honor and Serve, an earner of $1.3 million, will enter stud in 2013 at the Beck family's Gainesway Farm near Lexington, the farm announced Aug. 19.
He only defeated three horses in a scratched-filled edition of the $142,500 Westchester Stakes (gr. III), but To Honor and Serve could not have looked any better in his season debut April 28 at Belmont Park.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Bernardini's juvenile standout To Honor and Serve, who's on early watch lists for Triple Crown 2011, descends from Darby Dan's foundation mare Golden Trail.
Starlight Stables standout filly Ashado is expected to be a heavy favorite over eight rivals in Saturday's $250,000 Cotillion Handicap (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies at Philadelphia Park.
With half the field boasting victories over the track, there's plenty of local angles to Sunday's 80th running of the $200,000 Monmouth Breeders' Cup Oaks (gr. II) at Oceanport, N.J.
Golden Eagle Farm's Yearly Report tops a field of ten entered in the $500,000 Delaware Oaks (gr. II) to be run at 1 1/16 miles at Delaware Park Saturday.
Smarty Jones isn't John Servis' only starter this weekend. He will send out longshot Pilfer for Friday's Black-Eyed Susan. Bob Baffert's Yearly Report is favored in the nine-furlong race.
Most Popular Stories
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses