Pedigrees don't win races, but on paper, none of the new faces to emerge so far in 2013 looks better than Elnaawi.
To Honor and Serve was undeniable in the $750,000 Woodward Stakes at Saratoga Race Course Sept. 1, holding off the late challenge of 4-5 favorite Mucho Macho Man to earn his second grade I by a neck.
Grade I winner To Honor and Serve, an earner of $1.3 million, will enter stud in 2013 at the Beck family's Gainesway Farm near Lexington, the farm announced Aug. 19.
He only defeated three horses in a scratched-filled edition of the $142,500 Westchester Stakes (gr. III), but To Honor and Serve could not have looked any better in his season debut April 28 at Belmont Park.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Bernardini's juvenile standout To Honor and Serve, who's on early watch lists for Triple Crown 2011, descends from Darby Dan's foundation mare Golden Trail.
Starlight Stables standout filly Ashado is expected to be a heavy favorite over eight rivals in Saturday's $250,000 Cotillion Handicap (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies at Philadelphia Park.
With half the field boasting victories over the track, there's plenty of local angles to Sunday's 80th running of the $200,000 Monmouth Breeders' Cup Oaks (gr. II) at Oceanport, N.J.
Golden Eagle Farm's Yearly Report tops a field of ten entered in the $500,000 Delaware Oaks (gr. II) to be run at 1 1/16 miles at Delaware Park Saturday.
Smarty Jones isn't John Servis' only starter this weekend. He will send out longshot Pilfer for Friday's Black-Eyed Susan. Bob Baffert's Yearly Report is favored in the nine-furlong race.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Champion English Channel Relocates to Calumet
- Wise Dan to Make Return in Bernard Baruch
- Storm and a Half to Stand in Iowa
- Tiz Wonderful Colt Sells for OKC Sale Record
- Unbeaten Taghrooda Heads Yorkshire Oaks
- Consignors Provide Keeneland Showing Schedule
- Haskin's Top Sprinters of the Last 50 Years
- New Mexico Owner/Breeder Danley Dies