With two-time winner Hielo declared from the race by trainer Pico Perdomo, Gran Premio Nacional (Uru-I) winner Mi Centinela takes over the favorite's role in the group I Clasico Gran Premio Jose Ramirez Jan. 6 in Uruguay.
Trainer Pico Perdomo, best known for conditioning Gary Tanaka's Gourmet Girl to an Eclipse Award as champion older female in 2001, has returned to training locally after an eventful seven-year hiatus.
- By Jack Shinar
California Thoroughbred trainers who have not switched their workers' compensation insurance coverage to private carrier American International Group can do so March 1, but the broker who helped negotiate the industry's deal with the insurance giant doesn't think there'll be much, if any, response.
Gary Tanaka's Gourmet Girl, who was honored with an Eclipse Award as champion older female of 2001 the previous week, has been retired from racing according to trainer Pico Perdomo.
Trainer Pico Perdomo expressed confidence that Gourmet Girl will be ready for a top effort in the $250,000 Vanity Handicap (gr. I) for fillies and mares at 1 1/8-miles Saturday at Hollywood Park despite an 11-week hiatus since her last race.
Most Popular Stories
- BloodHorse, Weatherbys Launch Stallions App
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Welcome Home, Charismatic
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Revolutionary Equine Waste Recycling System
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31