With two-time winner Hielo declared from the race by trainer Pico Perdomo, Gran Premio Nacional (Uru-I) winner Mi Centinela takes over the favorite's role in the group I Clasico Gran Premio Jose Ramirez Jan. 6 in Uruguay.
Trainer Pico Perdomo, best known for conditioning Gary Tanaka's Gourmet Girl to an Eclipse Award as champion older female in 2001, has returned to training locally after an eventful seven-year hiatus.
- By Jack Shinar
California Thoroughbred trainers who have not switched their workers' compensation insurance coverage to private carrier American International Group can do so March 1, but the broker who helped negotiate the industry's deal with the insurance giant doesn't think there'll be much, if any, response.
Gary Tanaka's Gourmet Girl, who was honored with an Eclipse Award as champion older female of 2001 the previous week, has been retired from racing according to trainer Pico Perdomo.
Trainer Pico Perdomo expressed confidence that Gourmet Girl will be ready for a top effort in the $250,000 Vanity Handicap (gr. I) for fillies and mares at 1 1/8-miles Saturday at Hollywood Park despite an 11-week hiatus since her last race.
Most Popular Stories
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Isabella Sings Sails Home in Eatontown
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Sarah Sis Returns to Winning Ways in Chicago
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh