Birdrun defeated Duke of Mischief by 4 1/2 lengths to win the $150,000 Carl Rose Classic Handicap, the finale of Calder Casino & Race Course's eight-race Florida Million for Florida-bred horses Nov. 13.
Favored Nicanor, Barbaro's 4-year-old full brother, led to the sixteenth pole but could not hold off Pickapocket in the off-the-turf Sussex Stakes at rainy Delaware Park July 10.
Gio Ponti, the 2009 Eclipse Award winner as older male and male turf horse, will make his first start of 2010 on Feb. 20 when he contests the $150,000 Tampa Bay Breeders' Cup, a 1 1/16 miles turf test for 4-year-olds and up.
While 3-year-olds take the spotlight at Gulfstream Park Feb. 20, a pair of grade III turf stakes for older horses, the Canadian Turf and the Honey Fox, shape up as outstanding supporting features with large fields.
Herman Heinlein's Soldier's Dancer and Paul Pompa Jr.'s This Ones for Phil won Sunshine Millions races last year and the two Florida-bred geldings are back for more on Jan. 30 at Gulfstream Park.
Presious Passion and Icy Atlantic are two of the top contenders in the Jan. 26 event at Gulfstream Park.
The $100,000 Hallandale Beach Stakes for 3-year-olds, a 1 1/16 miles turf test on Saturday's card at Gulfstream Park, attracted an overflow field of 16, although only 12 will start.
Most Popular Stories
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot
- Unbeaten Materiality Secures Florida Derby
- International Star Sweeps to LA Derby Score
- I'm a Chatterbox Notches Easy FG Oaks Victory
- Birdatthewire Tops Familiar Rivals in GP Oaks
- Dortmund Logs Final Work for SA Derby
- Dubai World Cup Video Recap
- The Big Beast, 3YOs Prep for Wood Day Starts