Grade I winner and multi-millionaire Awesome Gem has been retired from racing. The 9-year-old son of Awesome Again was scheduled to run in the Sept. 23 Ralph M. Hinds Pomona Handicap at Fairplex.
Nine-year-old Awesome Gem got his 2012 campaign underway with a handy allowance victory at Golden Gate Fields April 12.
Awesome Gem, the richest horse to ever race in Washington, was too much for local star Noosa Beach in the $200,000 Longacres Mile Handicap (gr. III) at Emerald Downs.
Eight-year-old Awesome Gem registered his first win since last year's Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) when he edged past odds-on choice Game On Dude in the lane and posted a one-length victory in the Lone Star Park Handicap.
Veteran gelding Awesome Gem reached the pinnacle of his career when he rallied along the inside to upset odds-on favorite Rail Trip by a half-length in the $500,000 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) July 10.
Southern California shipper Awesome Gem came from off the pace to run down Nite Light in deep stretch for a 1 1/4-length win in the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup Handicap (gr. II) at muddy Hawthorne Park Oct. 3.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Rules Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop