Grade I winner and multi-millionaire Awesome Gem has been retired from racing. The 9-year-old son of Awesome Again was scheduled to run in the Sept. 23 Ralph M. Hinds Pomona Handicap at Fairplex.
Nine-year-old Awesome Gem got his 2012 campaign underway with a handy allowance victory at Golden Gate Fields April 12.
Awesome Gem, the richest horse to ever race in Washington, was too much for local star Noosa Beach in the $200,000 Longacres Mile Handicap (gr. III) at Emerald Downs.
Eight-year-old Awesome Gem registered his first win since last year's Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) when he edged past odds-on choice Game On Dude in the lane and posted a one-length victory in the Lone Star Park Handicap.
Veteran gelding Awesome Gem reached the pinnacle of his career when he rallied along the inside to upset odds-on favorite Rail Trip by a half-length in the $500,000 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) July 10.
Southern California shipper Awesome Gem came from off the pace to run down Nite Light in deep stretch for a 1 1/4-length win in the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup Handicap (gr. II) at muddy Hawthorne Park Oct. 3.
Most Popular Stories
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks
- Seagram Cup Next on Sky Captain's Itinerary